Saturday, October 18, 2008

Monday

Monday on the way home we stopped off to see my Aunts Gravesite at the San Juaquin National Cemetery. She died 6 month before my mother did. I hope they are not fighting up there now...hmmmm. Anyways it was a peaceful experience, a little solemn. Young and old are buried there, veterans from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq. Some around 19, some lived to the fullness in their lives, some having succumbed to illness in the middle of their lives like my Aunt, and then there were the ones who gave their all in the service of their country, in dawn of their adult lives, their ultimate sacrifice. And what they all had in common was the willingness to serve their country. It was surreal there, we were the only ones there. Up on a hilltop there was a tall flag pole with the flag waiving and music started playing. It was bells playing different hymns and it was nice. My Aunt had a hard life and sometimes I wondered if she ever had true happiness. I hope she does now.

No comments: